<Photobucket

Friday, October 12, 2007

Shifting Sand

I have been on quite an emotional roller-coaster lately. And we're not talking about any roller-coaster. We're talking, Six Flags-Top-Gun-gotta be 5 feet to ride this- roller-coaster.
And I am ready to get off.

It's so hard not to live by our emotions.

I especially get caught up in other people's emotional issues. Lately, My heart has been heavy for someone else. In the middle of thinking, "I pray he would stop buying into the American dream and wake up," I realized I have bought into an American dream myself. Hook, line and sinker.

But my American dream is sort-of a "Christian" version.

I stopped believing years ago that money and success, a great career or an awesome condo in Paris would satisfy me. But somewhere along the line, I started believing that while being a believer, a Godly husband, 2.4 kids and great friends in an awesome church would satisfy.

Either way, I struggle in believing the truth. NOTHING will ever satisfy outside of my relationship with Christ.

I need Jesus. I need Him to change my heart. I need Him to be everything to me. I need just HIM.

My best friend, Shannon, often reminds me of the words I said, through broken sobs, at my Grandparents' funeral. After sharing the Gospel the best I knew how and replaying all the questions I kept getting asked from friends about how I was "keeping it together," I said the truest words I knew at the time.

"Jesus is all I have. Jesus is all I need."

Everything in me believes that. Now, more than ever. And with every passing day, those words become more true. This life is so difficult. The only thing that is worth holding on to is the passionate and gracious love of my Savior.

Praise to Him! He has saved us from death! He is saving us from this life and He is saving me from my dreams.

I will leave you with some of my very favorite lyrics by Caedmons Call.
They ring true so often.

Shifting Sand

Sometimes I believe all the lies
So I can do the things I should despise
And every day I am swayed
By whatever is on my mind

I hear it all depends on my faith
So I'm feeling precarious
The only problem I have with these mysteries
Is they're so mysterious

And like a consumer I've been thinking
If I could just get a bit more
More than my 15 minutes of faith,
Then I'd be secure

My faith is like shifting sand
Changed by every wave
My faith is like shifting sand
So I stand on grace

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mandy! I'm counting the days until you get here!

Anyway, I can totally relate to your post. I let my emotions rule me and I get caught up in them, all the while forgetting God's truth.

The Gospel is so simple...and yet, we try to add all these things to it.

I can't wait to go home.

2:29 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

I can't wait to go home either Nikki.

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home